Skip to main content

Touching Lives in Goz Beida through Cash for Work

This past week I was so proud as our staff facilitated a couple of project fairs which are part of our Cash for Work and Food for Work Programs. This is something I have heard a lot about while in Kenya but I’d never actually attended one. My staff did a great job! They are seasoned veterans at this as we have done many. Let me explain (and show you through the pics which run in order of the process) how it works and why I love it so much.

To begin, together with the chiefs and community committee we identify those beneficiaries that will participate in the program. Most of the beneficiaries will then work in a variety of projects we select around their camp. Projects include digging water pans to collect rain water which is needed in such an arid area; planting trees and caring for them as part of our reforestation program; digging demi lunes or building contour lines which helps slow rain run off and thus slows erosion and environmental degradation. As workers clock a certain amount of time they are earning work hours which are then translated into vouchers. There are also a select group of vulnerables who for a number of reasons can't work, they are also given vouchers. These vouchers are then able to be used at a project fair to purchase household items or food for their family.

So, after the beneficiaries have worked 10-20 hours our staff set up a project fair outside their camp. This involves coordinating with approximately 100 merchants from the area who agree to put on a one day market in a particular community. They must agree on common and fair prices that will assist the beneficiaries while still allowing the merchants to make a profit. They also must agree to come set up their temporary shop on the agreed upon day of the fair and receive only vouchers from the beneficiaries, no cash. Then at a later designated day they will be able to trade in the vouchers for cash.

Now, the day of the fair is very exciting. The committee is there to start the whole process, guiding the merchants on where to set up and at the same time setting up the temporary ‘bank’ where people will register and receive their vouchers. Once everything is set we start the fair. The first step is our staff call names on a list in groups and they are given a small sheet of paper with their information on it such as their name and the number of hours worked translated into a voucher amount. The beneficiaries take this slip to our registration table where they are checked then ‘sign’ which in this case is their fingerprint. They then receive their vouchers, in the 2 fairs I just worked the average amount was 15,000 CFA or $30.

Once the beneficiaries receive their vouchers they then move on to the last staff member who recounts the vouchers to verify the correct amount was given while at the same time taking a moment to make sure the person is clear on the value of each voucher as this is an unfamiliar form of ‘money’. At that point the beneficiary is able to get into the fair which is really just a temporary market.

This is one of the things I love about this program. Usually these beneficiaries have to travel a number of kilometers to get to the nearest market in Goz Beida but with our project fair they are able to get all the necessities right in their own spending no extra time, energy or money for transport.

We held two fairs this week and were able to assist over 1,300 families. Due to the fact that these families are displaced or refugees and live in camps they already receive a specific ration of food from the World Food Program’s distributions. These distributions are crucial but they are not comprehensive as they lack items such as vegetables and sugar. Many families are forced to sell half their food rations in order to get cash so they can buy these and other items. As we employ people into our Cash for Work and Food for Work programs they are able to work and earn an income which can be used to purchase items they lack and more importantly it gives people the ability to purchase items such as meat, sugar or tea or even household items without having to sell their much needed food rations.


I love that we are improving the physical environment and actually developing and investing in the community. What makes this even more special is that the area that is being developed is not going to be home to most of these people in the long run. They are displaced or are refugees and will most likely return home or to a more permanent location in the near future. These projects which are improving the land is actually helping to keep ethnic and tribal tensions low as these 'visitors' areinvesting in the hosts’ land. Another great thing about this program is the simple fact that we are creating meaningful work. When given the chance most people would rather work vs being given handouts. People like to feel valued and useful and there is a certain dignity that comes from earning an income. I also love the fact that we are providing the families a chance to be empowered and to choose how they will provide for their family. Instead of just waiting in line and getting a pre determined set food ration, families are given the chance to go shopping for their family’s particular needs at the fair.

This program was first looked at by merchants, local leaders and community members
with skepticism but is now a very popular program by all. Everyone seems to benefit in one way or another. The merchants are practically guaranteed a good profit, the host community and leaders see their land being improved and the workers get the income which they earned themselves and which allows for food and goods to be purchased which will surely impact the family in many ways.

Comments

IamNotMyName said…
Hi.
My name is Karen Wang, currently a student at McMaster University. We are currently doing a project concerning refugee camps near Goz Beida - specifically we are working on a grant proposal. We have a few logistic questions and I was wondering if you could take a few minutes to answer them?
My email is kjw.wang@gmail.com.
Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance,
Karen

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad

6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light 6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet- 6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys 6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet…. 6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet! 6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible 6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day 6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away 7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions 7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts 8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying 8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field 9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office 9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), re

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l