Skip to main content

I know I am a bit behind, but here I am!




So, I am far from being the first but certainly not the last to get a blog up and running. It is Saturday, I am currently sitting in Java House (for those of you who have been to Kenya you know- it is a happy place), for those of you still waiting for your chance to visit beautiful Kenya, just know Java is a little piece of home. It's a coffee shop/American style restaurant in Nairobi. They offer great burgers, soups, huge variety of breakfasts, hot drinks that rival Starbucks and fabulous treats such as classic apple pie! The best thing is they have free wireless so I can sit here sipping my favorite drink, log onto my favorite Seattle radio station and send messages out to all of you. Nairobi has come a long way. Last night some friends and I headed to the local 'mall' and watched a new movie, Hancock. Not the greatest movie but it was entertaining and it was warm in the theatre which was a welcome change. You would never guess but it is cold here. Since we are below the equator we are enjoying our 'winter'. True, it may not freeze or snow, yet it does get chilly and I have put my few sweaters to good use the last few weeks as well as my hot water bottle. Crazy I know, but totally true! It reaches about 45 F which is fine in the States when you stay in a heated and insulated home but here there are no such luxuries so what you feel outside is what you get inside, almost.

Diane, my housemate is travelling in Chad this week, a trip I am hoping to make later in the year. In the mean time I am hosting 2 visitors and enjoying their company. Yesterday, to end the week on a personal note our Leadership Team went to visit Jackie, one of our colleagues who just had a baby, Ian. She is doing great. Enjoy the pics!




LEG update: Earlier on a beautiful April Sunday afternoon I broke my leg (fracture to the left tibia) while playing ultimate frisbee. 6 or 7 weeks later I got my cast off but was still completely dependant on my crutches. A few weeks ago my doc gave me a clean bill of health but asked I take it easy and highly recommended I still use one or both crutches as it strengthened. I have been moving around well with one crutch for a few weeks but I am finally (this weekend) moving on my own two feet and no crutch! I still have a limp and can't do anything quick but I can move and it feels great!


The BIG NEWS this week is that we have found a great candidate for the Kenya Country Director position (my current job) and we made an offer last week and this week he accepted! He is a Kenyan and is very qualified and is clearly a good fit for our team. I can't wait to start the handover process which will most likely begin in a month. I once again thank God for his provisions. Once the handover process is well on its way I can start focusing attention on my new regional role as Livelihood Coordinator.

There you go, my first blog. Take care!

Comments

Frank said…
"ALLRIGHT" I'm your first comment.
Wonderful bolg, looking forward to reading much more.
My vote is for the Giraffe and your mom's is for the Elephant.
Lots of hugs, Frank from Snohomish Wa. USA.

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad

6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light 6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet- 6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys 6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet…. 6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet! 6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible 6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day 6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away 7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions 7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts 8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying 8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field 9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office 9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), re