Skip to main content

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad


6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light

6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet-

6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys

6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet….


6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet!

6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible

6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day

6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away

7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions

7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts

8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying

8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field

9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office

9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), review budgets, deal with HR issues…

12:00 start getting restless as the heat is starting to get to me and my hunger is growing

12:35 Generator off, walk towards home, greeted by school kids learning basic English

12:40 We arrive at home, peek to see what ‘surprise’ has been prepared -chicken or beef?

12:45 Wash up, eat lunch and fill up water bottle, 1 liter already taken in during morning

1:05 Time to rest and read a chapter in my book, listen to music, try to stay cool

1:45 Start prepping to return to work, walk in the heat of the day through the sand to office


1:55 Back to work on those budgets, reports, work plans, meetings with managers, etc.

3:30 I always know when this time of the day comes, it is the hottest and I always feel it!

4:15 Field staff return bringing much needed energy to keep me going as its too hot for tea

5:00 Start packing up, generator goes off, within minutes the office is nearly empty

5:10 Expats head across town (a few blocks away) to UNHCR to try our luck with email


5:15 Tap on HCR gate, show ID, head in for internet, search for a seat but I find the ground

5:20 Download new mail, cut and paste emails from Outlook outbox to send via Gmail

5:50 Hop on Facebook and check things there, change my status if anything inspired me

6:10 UNHCR guard comes and politely kicks us out of the internet ‘café’(just HCR’s yard)

6:15 Leave compound, finish more email if wireless is strong as laptops rest on car hood

6:25 We finish up, hang on tight as Ayamba is driving faster than usual through the sand

6:30 Arrival at our compound, guards check if it’s us & delay entry if seatbelts aren’t on!

6:31 Home for the night, I note the stars are out, the air is cooling, the night is quiet

6:32 Ayamba yells, “Groupe” and the guards turn generator on, no longer quiet

6:33 As we enter, pass the dining table, we curiously check what’s been prepared for us


6:35 The water is on- we each fill our buckets in case water doesn’t come tomorrow

6:45 Shower if enough pressure otherwise bucket bath- oh so fun! Put on shorts, cooling…

7:00 Catch up on news if CNN’s on or try to guess what’s going on if its news in French

7:30 We sit to eat dinner together- chicken or beef with rice, pasta, cous cous or chips

8:00 Finish dinner, what remains we give to the guard and lock ourselves in for the night

8:10 Down time to talk, read, work out, catch up on work, watch tv, etc.

8:30 Water stops coming in, off again until next morning

9:30 Get ready for bed, wash face with bucket water

9:45 Generator off, quiet again… other than the random donkey in the background!

10:00 In bed, hoping to get a restful night of sleep if not woken by the heat

Comments

Mark and Sarah said…
Wow, Tracy! That was a truly insightful look at a day in Chad! The heat sounds stifling. This is the first time visiting your blog and I can't wait to keep up with it!
Luis Portugal said…
Hello
It has a nice blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from my country, Portugal
carrie said…
Thank you so much for sharing the ins and outs of your daily life Tracy! This is amazing to read...all of it! Take Care. :)

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l