Skip to main content

Nairobi to N’djamena plus friendly chaos in Ethiopia

Around 3:30 in the afternoon on Sunday the 18th a taxi came to pick me up to begin my long journey to Goz Beida, Tchad- my home for the next 2 months. My first flight was to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia where I had a brief layover and then continued to the capital city of N’djamena. Two things to note from my time in the Addis airport- first, I have never seen such a rush for the Duty Free zone- people were excited and literally buying out the place. These shoppers were skilled and strategic and they meant business! Second, there was a strange behavior among those that were on my flight to Chad. There was a noticeable difference in how they responded to the airline staff and to each other. Chaos is the only way to explain it. People were in a frenzy and not really following any rules but somehow it worked.

With the two flights, the layover and crossing a few time zones I finally arrived just after 1am on the 19th of January- which happened to be my birthday. I was pretty beat but was all alone and now in a French speaking country so I needed to be alert and try my best to catch all necessary cues as I attempted to get through immigration and then customs. I managed pretty well and was happy to see one of our staff holding a World Concern sign after I passed successfully through customs. We gathered my 2 bags and headed to a taxi, which incidentally did not start. After many tries the guys finally caught the attention of someone else and the three men pushed the car until it started and off we went.

I was tired but still trying to notice as many things as possible as I was in a new country. I noted right away how quickly we lost the tarmac, just a couple of minutes from the airport the roads became like those in the back roads of Narok- uneven, full of garbage piles and animals and made of dirt and in this context also sand. The other thing that was hard to miss was the dust and sand which made the night sky have a bit of an ominous glow to it. On our way from the airport Jonas let me know that he had noticed from my passport that it was my birthday. I was surprised by this and pleased, not only to be remembered, even in Tchad, but more by the fact that it showed his attention to detail.

About 10 minutes from the airport we arrived at the gate of our guest house/office. By this time it was well after 2 in the morning and I had just received the news that I had an appointment booked at 8am with the French Development Agency. Not the best of news this hour of the night but I am here to work so I might as well hit the ground running. So, without any further delay I located my pj’s, got a glass of water and went to bed. It made me laugh actually as I found a heavy blanket on my bed but I promise you with the heat that still remained from the day, there wasn’t even the need for a single sheet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad

6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light 6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet- 6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys 6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet…. 6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet! 6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible 6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day 6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away 7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions 7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts 8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying 8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field 9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office 9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), re