Skip to main content

Starting the New Year in Style

On the 2nd of January I joined a party that was memorable. My housemate, friend and colleague Diane invited me to join her family for a safari. They were tired upon arrival from jet lag but after their 2 weeks of adventure in Kenya they will be tired from too much fun and adventure! I was honored to be able to join in their adventure for the first week and what a week it was. We started by heading towards Narok. As we dipped deeper into the Rift Valley giraffes were spotted as well as zebras and antelopes. Once arriving in Narok town we checked into the Chambai Hotel (basic but cozy and familiar) and got some much needed rest. The next day we went to our office to greet the staff, introduce the visitors, participate in their devotions, hold a staff meeting and Diane held a separate baraza (an opportunity to share and listen to issues that are not necessarily attached to an agenda) which is always a great time for the leadership to gain a feeling or pulse from the staff. After the meeting we started our long journey towards the Maasai Mara for our 3 day safari.

I won’t go into all the details but just know that before we got to our final destination we had switched vehicles 3 times and then on the way out of the Mara we had 6 different tire punctures! It was an adventure! In between all that ‘fun’ we were able to stay in 2 different tented camps and go on a number of game rides spotting lions, elephants, buffalo and much, much more! Usually I wouldn’t talk much about the camps but I must in this case as I have discovered my new favorite, Mara Timbo! This luxurious camp is situated just next to a river which hosts 2 families of hippos! We loved our time there, especially the free 10-minutes massage and delicious meals, snacking on popcorn under the stars next to a camp fire - not to mention the huge and luxurious tents with a classy outside private bathtub!

After our safari we were ready to visit some projects and spent a good portion of the day in 2 of the communities we serve in Kenya with our Nehemiah Program and Economic Development Program. I loved seeing the library we built, finally finished and it is the first of its kind in the district. We also spent some time visiting a few water projects and I got the satisfaction of seeing the newly finished bore hole (deep drilled well) which is powered by a windmill. Finally we visited the village bank we built last year and saw it is doing well and is giving out loans and has a 100% repayment rate!

We ended the day again by checking in at the Chambai Hotel and then headed the next morning towards our next stop of Naivasha but stopped on the way to visit a pastor and to do a home visit with a family that is part of our Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) program. The mama we visited is being supported by the local church OVC committee who we trained and equipped. Also, she and her family are enjoying the shelter of the house we build for her. It was an honor to be in her home and to meet her beautiful son Bernard.

Following our OVC visit in the Suswa area we headed to Malu, a new place for all of us. This place is great but far, far from the main road. I think the road seemed worse since we had been in a car on rough roads for nearly a week. Malu provided for us a quiet and peaceful place to rest in our own ‘tree house’. It is situated in a forest and we were entertained in the evenings and mornings by two families of monkeys- Colobus (the big black and white ones that look like skunks) and Sykes. We enjoyed amazing meals (some at their restaurant and some we prepared in our place. Also we went horseback riding and found Bob the local zebra who joined the herd of horses many years ago and has never left.
On our last day on the way back to Nairobi we took a detour to Lake Naivasha, where the group took a boat over to Crescent Island and enjoyed more hippos (but this time from the water) and many species of birds. We also took a moment to visit a different part of the lake that hosts many gorgeous pink flamingos.

We traveled hundreds of kilometers, took thousands of photos and took in many tasty calories while at the same time we learned more about each other, created many new memories and witnessed more of the great work World Concern is doing in the communities we serve. All in all, not a bad way to start the year!

Check out the pics- I have uploaded 50 on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=78760&l=ca334&id=544908254

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad

6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light 6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet- 6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys 6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet…. 6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet! 6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible 6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day 6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away 7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions 7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts 8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying 8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field 9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office 9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), re