Skip to main content

N’djamena to Abéché : birthdays, early meetings and global events…


My alarm went off after just a few hours sleep and I found my way around my bags and managed to get ready for my meeting. We (John, a consultant hired by WC and I) met with the Project’s Supervisor for French Development in Tchad as well as a representative of the local government’s Agriculture Department. The meeting was all in French and lasted about 2 hours. It went well and we gained a much better idea of what would be expected of us if we collaborated in future projects. As we left the office building John offered to take me out for breakfast, an offer that was sweeter than usual since I had not been organized enough in the morning to get breakfast and had since worked up a big appetite. He took me to a little café where I enjoyed a pot of tea, fresh juice, some fresh yoghurt and my favorite - a nice French croissant.

While there I had the chance to see something I had heard about in Kenya- the French military. What makes them interesting is what they wear or don’t wear. Part of their standard uniform is a pair of extremely short shorts. So, they tend to stand out as they are white in a mostly African context and are exposing significant amounts of skin in a heavily Muslim, conservative context. Not quite sure what they were thinking when designing the uniforms but they seem perfectly happy running around the city in their little short shorts.

Breakfast was great and I took a sandwich from the café to enjoy later for lunch. The bread is so nice. The day itself was pretty quiet. I just rested and lounged around the guest house and tried to stay hydrated as the heat was pretty intense. Around 7 we headed to a restaurant to celebrate my birthday which was a nice surprise. (see previous blog) One notable difference here is the lizards. I am not sure why but they seem to be climbing all the walls and they are pretty big. My guess is they are pretty welcome as they eat bugs so I don’t mind but it takes a bit to get used to them.

The next day was a day in waiting as I just needed to get permission to travel out of the capital and then get booked on a UN flight to Abéché and then later to Goz Beida. While waiting I read up on some of the reports I had brought, spent some time with our staff and just sorted my luggage as there is a strict weight allowance on the UN flights of 15 kg. I had about 35 kg from Nairobi so I had some decision making about what I would actually carry to Goz Beida, what could stay in the capital and what I would hope to get later via a cargo flight. However, that night we got to take part in or at least witness a global event- the inauguration of President Obama! (again, see previous blog for details)

Wednesday morning the alarm woke me early. I needed to be at the airport by 6am so a taxi was coming around 5:45. I had put a lot of thought into what I was taking on the plane and when my stuff was weighed they allowed me to proceed. However, my colleague who had just spent 2 months in the capital and was now returning home was unlucky. He had to ‘lighten his load’ three different times, taking out 3 pairs of shoes, a thermos, 2 French to English dictionaries, etc before finally being allowed on.

Once we were past security it was clear the environment had changed. We were no longer in Chad proper but in Chad the humanitarian zone. All of the sudden there were more white faces and internationals than Chadians. I was now part of the group where each person wears an ID around their necks showing our affiliation with the UN or some other agency doing humanitarian work in Chad. From now on the dynamics will be different.

In order to get going on our flight we were asked to get on a bus which literally took us less than 75 meters so we could board the flight – a Beech 1900 Raythen which had capacity for 19 passengers. We each identified our bag, it was tossed in the back of the plane and off we went. Minutes after taking off I was able to see from the air the extent of the capital city. It really is more of a large town than a city. You could count on one hand the number of paved roads that were visible just minutes after takeoff. The infrastructure was very basic and just got leaner as we moved away from town. Finally I was on my way to the field and would be one step closer, about half way, in just 1.5 hours.

(sorry for the lack of interesting photos- there is a pretty strong sense that photography is not very welcome so I was lean on picture taking)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WAWA!

I have been in Chad for a month now and I have to tell you the honeymoon is over. Reality has definitely set in and I have to tell you at this moment it is not so fun. I am in the capital city of Ndjamena and I have been here a week now and it is definitely testing my patience. It is not all bad but at the moment as I continue getting settled and discovering how to function here I would say this motto WAWA – West Africa Wins Again!- says it all. I believe very strongly that it is important to celebrate every victory, big or small but I have to be honest. Lately there have been very few victories for me to celebrate. But let me get there in a bit. The first thing I need to explain is that even though Chad is geographically in Central Africa, it is culturally French West African. What this means is a petty bureaucratic approach to education and administration where it is more about giving people position and power than getting things done. So, things are done over and over, and over in t

Blessings from all sides! Home Assignment: April – July 09

Many people have told me they could never do what I do or they recognize the sacrifices I make to live and serve in Africa- some point out the fact that I have left behind dear family and friends others seem more humbled by the comforts and conveniences I have chosen to go without. To those people I say there may be great sacrifice from your perspective but from my perspective I have simply been doing what I believe I have been equipped and called by God to do and in doing so I am gaining so much (not losing). Also, I try to share the incredible benefits gained from my time in Africa. There are many! Certainly there are challenges and struggles I face in Africa that I would not typically face in the US but it is worth it for the many lessons learned, the deep relationships formed and the incredible memories made. Some day I hope to share more about this as I believe much of who I am today is thanks to the time spent here in Africa. But for now, know it is these relationships and rich l

A Typical Monday in Goz Bëida, Chad

6:00 Wake up, it’s still a bit dark, there is no power so I turn on my headlamp for light 6:05 Go check to see if the ‘city’ water is on yet- not yet- 6:10 Go boil water for morning tea for me and the guys 6:15 Check again to see if water is on – not yet…. 6:15 Breakfast! Tea + bread and jam or cereal with powdered milk or perhaps an omelet! 6:25 Read My Upmost for His Highest my favorite devotional book and from Bible 6:40 Water is on! Wash up and get ready for the day 6:55 Pack up and leave for the office in one of the land cruisers, 2 blocks away 7:05 Arrive at office hearing the sound of our staff singing French choruses for devotions 7:35 Devotions end and short staff meeting starts 8:00 Meeting ends, greet staff with my poor French, they laugh and I keep trying 8:05 The generator goes on, office is buzzing as field staff prep to go to the field 9:00 Field staff leaves, office gets a bit quiet, managers and admin remain at office 9-12 Work on reports, reply to emails (offline), re